Research takes us many places!

Megan wrote, “What about Grama’s sister Kate? There’s something about her and Father Divine and then we don’t hear anything else. What happened to her?”

Well, I remember meeting Great-aunt Kate when she came through Wisconsin and stopped at the farm and was all full of Father Divine, an African American religious sect leader of the Great Depression and after, and was on her way to some big gathering I recall as being in Michigan – but I was a little kid, maybe 6 or 7. I do recall that over the years, there was conjecture by my Grama and other family on the farm as to where was Kate and what had happened to her. She just vanished after that visit and nobody ever heard from her again. There are darling pictures of her baby son in old family albums; did any adult write him and say “Where is your mother”? If so, there’s no record. This has put me looking up Father Divine, too. He had an infamous history. Kate settled in Washington state, where Father Divine had followers, mostly white. I learned he also had followers in California, France, Switzerland, Canada, and Australia. Apparently one of them was Jimmy Jones, of Kool-Aid fame! I’m sorry I can’t write all this up in Round Barn, but I guess it’s peripheral anyway. He did not come to the farm, as did the daughter of General Booth, who held a rousing service in the living room of the Big House, and rates a whole chapter in Vol. 2, “La Maréchale.”

Beautiful and mysterious Aunt Kate
Beautiful and mysterious Aunt Kate

One thought on “Research takes us many places!”

1. Family research can run up some blind alleys. Do you know her married name or her son’s name? We might be able to do some research on this end, although with the internet you probably have the same access we do.

Leave a Reply