…breadcrumb trail leads to gold

For Volume 4 of “THE ROUND BARN,” due out early next year, I’ve been scanning photos from (and also reading) newspaper coverage of Farm Progress Days, held on my Grandpa Dougan’s farm in 1961. Here and there, I ran across a mention of Alice in Dairyland. Well, as everyone who’s ever visited Jackie’s downstairs bathroom knows, who could be more perfectly
fitting in a story told by Jackie, than Alice?

Curiosity well piqued, I turned to google, and found this intriguing (sub)header in the June 25th, 1961 edition of The Milwaukee Journal:

Click the picture to read the full article
Click here to read the full article
From the article: “Poised and stunning in a blue gown, Miss Anderson broke precedent a bit when she stayed dry-eyed as the announcement of her victory was made.”

Really– being dry-eyed broke a precedent? Apparently so: it turns out that the role of Alice is Wisconsin’s Agricultural Ambassador, not bad for a “starter” job at age 19. No wonder it was worth mentioning that she kept it together! And look where it’s taken her: I found Miss Anderson’s current name on the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture website, and from there, learned that Carol Anderson Koby has a radio show out of Madison: ALL ABOUT LIVING.

Carol says, “These programs are built on the philosophy that age is not a
deterrent to being an active participant in a complex world. In fact, leading a full, productive, and happy life is an “ageless” concept.”

Yes indeed. What could be a better description of Jackie, at age 86, than
leading a full, productive, and happy life?

Naturally, I started listening immediately, and that’s how I found this audio program, which might be of particular interest to Jackie’s followers: TRANSFORM YOUR TRAVEL INTO A COMPELLING MEMOIR,
with guest Sarah White, who offers services and help for writers of personal stories at her website, First Person Productions. Sarah also has a blog:
True Stories Well Told, –definitely worth checking out.

For all of you who have been in any of Jackie’s classes (Family Stories writers, especially! give this show a listen!) over the past 40 years, I ask you– who could possibly be more perfectly fitting for the Alice in her story?

And to Carol and Sarah– thanks for all you do! Now, carry on.

Leave a Reply