Mommy’s Orange Cookies

Lately it’s been circulating around the family, “Where is the orange cookie recipe?” Not that these are particularly Christmas cookies, but were the family’s favorite cookie. Turns out my sister Jo and I both have the recipe, and Jo wrote me that when one of her boys told Scottie Cook, who was helping Mother, that Scottie made the best cookies he ever had (the orange!) that Mother was quick to say that it was her recipe and not Scottie’s. Question: where did Mom get it? Anyway, here is the famous Orange Cookie recipe some of you have been asking about and others of you who read this might want to try.

Mommy’s Orange Cookies
1 C sugar
1 C shortening
2 eggs
1 C orange juice
grated rind of one orange
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
3 C flour

Put together in the usual way: (Cream sugar, shortening, add eggs, sift flour, b.p., soda together, and add alternately with o.j.) Drop spoonsful on greased cookie sheet, not too close together. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (I think that’s about 350° – 375° in today’s language). Frost with powdered sugar moistened with orange juice, to which the grated rind has been added. Makes four dozen or more.

Note: Jo has our grandmother’s much battered (pun intended) cookbook with Grama’s famous Thanksgiving cookies in it. When I get a copy of that recipe, I’ll add it to this blog.

*edited to warm up the oven temp!

2 thoughts on “Mommy’s Orange Cookies”

1. Wikipedia defines a “moderate oven” as 350-375, so I’ve edited this to warm up the oven. But you might want to keep an eye on these and make an adjustment if it seems needed. I remember them as pale and puffy mounds, almost cake-like, with a browned edge.

Leave a Reply