Freak snowstorms and weather reports

bobsled

Here’s another research story, which keeps writing fun. My brother, a doctor in Oregon, treated an elderly woman, Elsie, in the ER, and as she left, he said, “I love your Swiss accent–just like my Auntie Irmy.” The woman stopped, they talked with excitement–Auntie Irmy was Elsie’s sister and they had both worked on the Dougan farm! We kids called her sister “Auntie.” Irma’s first son was named after my uncle Trever, and her second, after my grandfather: “And Irma had to go to the hospital on a bobsled, it was a freak April snowstorm, and on Trever’s birthday!” Elsie said.

I had enough to write up a story about the bobsled trip, and I was currently studying my grandfather’s letters of 1921, which mentioned the baby’s birth, and also a freak snowstorm–but the dates didn’t match. It seemed an odd bit that Elsie would have remembered, if it hadn’t happened — so I looked up the weather following the baby’s birth. I found the freak snowstorm — really freak, it blocked all the roads — for the day that the baby came HOME to the farm from the hospital. So Elsie Did remember!

I called up that baby, now 80 years old, and he said he’d never heard about a bobsled, coming or going, when he was born. But my research proved Elsie’s story and her memory (almost) true. What a research pleasure!

3 thoughts on “Freak snowstorms and weather reports”

1. Hi Paula,
    Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have the books available in large print, but there are readings from the book recorded for MP3 players. Please go here to retrieve the recordings: http://www.jacqueline-jackson.com/materials/stories/stories-podcast.htm

Unfortunately, the entire publications are not recorded at this time, but I hope you enjoy what is available.

We will look into how we can make the books available in large print.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Jackie Jackson

Leave a Reply